Monday, October 12, 2009

Serendipity

There were some news stories on NPR tonight, as I was driving up to Fresno, that inspired me so much. The thing is, I think if I had heard them even four days ago, I would have been listening with different ears. Does that make any sense? Roseanne Cash was talking about the legacy that her family left her, and about how she didn't appreciate it until her parents were gone. She has a new album out that is really cool in theory, I just don't like her voice. It's from a list of essential songs that her dad made for her when she was 18. The 100 American songs that she needed to know. What a cool idea. I have a hard time making lists of 5, let alone 100. In the spirit of this, here's a list: Five Songs That Shaped Me

1. Cool Change by Little River Band (dancing with my mom in the entryway of our house as a baby.)
2. Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
3. Shout at the Devil by Motley Crue (this is mostly about hanging out with my cool cousin Faye)
4. She's Always A Woman by Billy Joel
5. In The Wee Small Hours, Frank Sinatra version

Anyway, back to my point. I think that we hear in a story what we need to hear at that moment. It's like reading a book, I've read Jane Eyre about 15 times, and every time I get something different out of it. Watching a movie is like that too. It's not about the story itself, but how we hear the story in that moment.

It's late so I'm not sure if that made any sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment