Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Double Standard

My double standard - I can do anything, don't treat me like a silly little girl, oh by the way big strong capable man, can you fix that light bulb for me please?

I do it, I'll admit it. I am a strong intelligent woman, I get irritated when a man implies that because I'm a woman I can't accomplish something, or I am incapable of understanding the complexities of the wiring. I can weld, for god's sake. I've swung a hammer, hung a light fixture, and figured out the unintelligible instructions from a product made in China. Just because I ask a man to do something doesn't mean I can not do it myself, usually it means I don't feel like figuring it out, or spending my time on it.

That being said, I have been known to bat my eyelashes and praise the general worthiness of a man in order to get what I want.

I had a frustrating weekend in this way.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, see. Jag was wrong. You DO have a good understanding of your power.

    Batting eyelashes is a woman's perogative, and I'm glad you get that.

    Sorry about your weekend, tho...

    ReplyDelete