Friday, July 3, 2009

'Was' is not 'Is'

Do you ever find aspects of your life colliding? At present I am involved with a production of "As You Like It"; a Shakespeare play. I am also reading "He's Just Not That Into You" (it's research people!) and the two have lots of similarities. There is a scene in ATLI where Rosalind and Celia are discussing the fact that Orlando is two hours late to their appointed meeting. Celia chides Rosalind for making excuses for Orlando, and when Rosalind says 'You have heard him say that he was in love with me' Celia responds 'Was is not is'. Celia could just as easily be Miranda telling Charlotte 'He's just not that into you', or any other modern woman making excuses for a man.

In my life I have not made excuses for a man, the book really doesn't exist for me. I make excuses for myself. I overeat to convince myself that a man couldn't possibly want me, to insulate myself from getting hurt, and to comfort myself that it's every guy's fault for not looking past my chubby exterior to the great person underneath. This is about being honest, and honestly I don't know what is going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment